I enjoy reading recipes and food blogs online, but I have this pet peeve when someone writes a review to the tune of: "I made this recipe, but substituted 3/4 of the ingredients and cooked it differently: 3 stars". Dude, this review tells me nothing about the recipe. Anyways, the following recipe is a heavy adaptation of a Pear Ginger Crumble from The Year of Cozy by Adrianna Adarme.
It all started when my cousin gave me some mediocre apples - who can resist a produce bargain?! Turns out they made a really good apple crisp.
Ingredients - Decorating
- 3 apples, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 3 tbs diced candied ginger
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup + 1 tbs flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup butter
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a 8x8 in baking dish, mix the apples, ginger, brown sugar, spices, vanilla and 1 tbs flour until well combined.
3) In a microwavable bowl, melt the butter.
4) In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and walnuts.
5) Add the melted butter and combine with your fingers until it holds together into crumbles.
6) Lightly pack crumble mix over apples and bake for 35-40 minutes until lightly browned.
7) Serve with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or yogurt mixed with a bit of honey.